Chicken Lentil Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian pear-shaped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook chicken and onion in oil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center.
Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese, breaking up tomatoes.
Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Serve with cheese.
Makes 6 servings.