Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup plus 2½ Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked per the package directions
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 9 Tablespoons reduced fat shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh Parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove squash with a slotted spoon, reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water and set aside, then blend until smooth with an immersion blender, adding ¼ cup of the reserved liquid.
Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, add the oil and saute the shallots and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add pureed butternut squash, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and add remaining ¾ cup of reserved water. Stir in 2½ tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread about ½ cup butternut squash sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 12-inch baking dish.
Combine spinach, ricotta, remaining ½ cup Parmesan, egg, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl.
Place a piece of wax paper on the counter, blot the lasagna noodles dry, and lay them out side by side on the paper. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the entire length of all the noodles. Roll each noodle carefully and place seam side down in the baking dish.
Pour the remaining butternut squash evenly over the noodles, and top each one with 1 tablespoon Italian cheese blend. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
Makes 9 servings.