- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 32 ounces prepared Italian Tomato Sauce without meatballs
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles (not oven-ready)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into ⅛- to ¼-inch thick slices
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet, brown sausage; drain well. Add tomato sauce and water; blend well. Simmer 5 minutes.
In medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, chives, oregano, and egg; mix well.
In ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish or lasagna pan (15 x 10-inch), spread 1½ cups of meat sauce; top with ½ of uncooked noodles, ½ of ricotta cheese mixture, and ½ of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers; top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 350° F. Uncover baking dish; bake 50 to 60 minutes or until noodles are tender and casserole is bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.