From hungrygirl.com, by Lisa Lillien (Hungry Girl)
- 6 slices reduced-calorie white bread (40 to 45 calories each with around 2g fiber per slice)
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon Brummel & Brown Buttery Spread
For best results, leave bread uncovered at room temperature for a night or two, until slightly stale. Otherwise, begin by lightly toasting bread.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cut bread into ½-inch cubes. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray, and place bread cubes evenly along the bottom of the dish.
In a medium pot, combine broth, onion, and celery. Cook for 8 minutes over medium heat.
Remove pot from heat, and add mushrooms and garlic. Season mixture to taste with salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Let cool for several minutes.
Add egg substitute and butter to veggie/broth mixture and stir. Pour mixture into the baking pan, evenly covering bread cubes. Mix gently with a fork. Bread cubes should be moist, but not saturated (if necessary, add 1 to 2 Tablespoons water, and then mix again).
Cover with foil, and cook dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove foil, and fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return dish to oven (uncovered), and cook for an additional 15 minutes.