Sausage, Cheese, and Veggie Breakfast Casserole
- 1¾ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 7 ounces Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 sprays olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped shallot
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1½ cups finely chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 8 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half of the mozzarella cheese into the baking dish.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, cook the sausage over medium heat breaking up as it cooks until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
Add the oil to the skillet with the shallots and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the roasted peppers, broccoli and return the sausage, cook 1 minute; mix well and remove from heat. Spread evenly over the cheese in the baking dish.
In a large bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, Parmesan, salt and pepper and whisk well. Slowly pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 32 to 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.