- 1½ pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 3 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 dried chili peppers
- ½ medium red bell pepper, cut into large dice
- ½ medium green bell pepper, cut into large dice
- ½ medium onion, cut into large dice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 8 ounces rice noodles, cooked per package instructions
Slice the flank steak across the grain into ¾-inch-thick slices on an angle to make planks, then cut planks into ¾-inch cubes. Place the steak in a shallow bowl and add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch, water, and vegetable oil. Massage the ingredients into the meat. Set it aside until ready to use, or you can cover and refrigerate for a few days.
Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat the oil to medium-high in a wok or medium sauté pan, and sauté the garlic until light brown. Stir in the beef and allow to cook undisturbed for about 30 seconds. Stir and scrape the pan and cook for another 30 seconds. Stir in all the vegetables except the scallions, and let them cook for about 2 minutes, until the onion starts to turn translucent.
Add the sauce, stir constantly and let it cook for about 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Stir in the green onions and serve over the rice noodles.
Makes 6 servings.